ProfeSTART® Electrolyte Powder 20 x 60gram Sachets
Isotonic energy and mineral salt supplement.
Oral, non-antibiotic isotonic energy and electrolyte supplement for calves, foals, kids, crias, fawns, piglets, dogs and cats. Suitable as a first feed for brought-in or stressed calves, lambs and pigs, and as a supplement for racing animals.
WHY PROFESTART ELECTROLYTE?
ProfeSTART Electrolyte is a non-antibiotic isotonic energy and electrolyte supplement for calves, foals, kids, crias, fawns, piglets, dogs and cats. Suitable as a first feed for brought-in or stressed calves, lambs and pigs, and as a supplement for racing animals.
- Application – convenient formulation; animals can be left on milk feeds; liquid or powder options.
- Performance – balanced formulation; quicker response and turnaround observed.
- Price – exceptional value versus bicarb based alternatives.
- Energy (glucose and glycine)
- Alkalising salts (acetate and citrate)
- Mineral salts (sodium and potassium)
Although all alkalising agents have similar effects, acetate has several advantages over bicarbonate:
- Acetate helps sodium and water to be absorbed in the small intestine but bicarbonate does not;
- Acetate is a source of energy but bicarbonate is not;
- Acetate will not alkalinize (raise the pH) in the abomasum or true stomach whereas bicarbonate will (i.e.
- creates an environment which may encourage the overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria in the small intestine);
- Acetate does not interfere with milk whereas bicarbonate is known to interfere with milk curd formation.
- Commercial electrolyte preparations vary in the amount of particles dissolved in the solution. Most products
- are “hypertonic” containing a very large amount of glucose in the preparation. This will draw water out of the intestine, instead of into it, in order to equalize osmolarity on both sides of the intestine.
- In contrast, “isotonic” solutions have a similar amount of particles in the solution as is normally found in the bloodstream. This prevents water being drawn out of the intestine after ingestion.
- Isotonic solutions provide a better option for restoring lost fluids and electrolytes for routine use.
STRONG IRON DIFFERENCE
“Strong ion theory” encourages the use of products that deliver an excess of strong cations (sodium and potassium) relative to the concentration of strong anions (chloride) in order to help correct a portion of the acid-base balance in the blood.
While most commercial products fall well short of the required SID range, ProfeSTART ELECTROLYTE complies with the SID recommendations providing a balanced formulation